Foodie Friday: International Bacon Day
September 4, 2015
Each year, International Bacon Day falls on the Saturday before Labor Day. We take that as a sign that these holidays are meant to be merged with bacon-crazed brunching! Savor by JPC Event Group offers a variety of unique and delicious bacon items such as BLT macarons, bacon avocado gougeres with fennel fronds and our loaded baked potato dip with bacon – all of which are perfect for celebrating any day of the year!
To make the most of International Bacon Day, we have put together 6 brunch spots in the city to make your Labor Day weekend a celebration of both the best meal of the day and the world’s preeminent cured pig product. Hungry for more? See these irresistible bacon recipes by Food & Wine Magazine.
The Best Brunch Spots in the ‘Burgh to Celebrate International Bacon Day!
1. Meat & Potatoes – You can’t go wrong with a build your own Bloody Mary bar and house infused bacon vodka. Pair your custom concoction with decadent Pub Burger – which also happens to be the best burger in Pennsylvania – for the ultimate International Bacon Day celebration.
2. Market Street Grocery – This Downtown gem of Market Square offers freshly prepared brunch specials that are sure to get your weekend started off on the right foot.
3. Marty’s Market – We share a commitment to partnering with local and sustainable farmers and producers to serve fresh and seasonal fare, crafted with care. Their “Beer Shop Mancakes” with house bacon, fried egg cinnamon butter and local maple syrup is the ultimate indulgence for brunch.
4. Pamela’s Diner – A Pittsburgh classic that has been serving the best breakfast since 1980. Their specialties include crêpe-style pancakes, omelets and Lyonnaise potatoes, which are all the perfect accompaniment to bacon.
5. E2 – A bustling BYOB neighborhood restaurant known for its fantastic brunch. Their weekly rotating menu includes local favorites such as bacon filled zeppolli with a maple glaze and “mush” – polenta topped with sausage, bacon, pecans, maple butter sauce and toast.
6. Waffles INcaffinated – Offers one of the best BLT’s in town. Current monthly specials include “Eat a Peach” and this weekend, the blueberry waffle topping with peach pie filling, pistachio ice cream, almonds, and whipped cream can be yours for only $5!